Chestnut wood is one of our more popular choices at the Stick and Cane Shop
. It is hard-wearing and can be worked beautifully into a variety of styles of canes. It is sourced from the genus Castanea, which comprises eight or nine species of deciduous trees and shrubs in the beech family Fagaceae. These trees are shrubs are all native to temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere. Chestnut also belongs to the same family as the oak and beech and its trees are of moderate growth rate, giving us a type of wood that is strong and stable and ideal to be worked into a stylish walking cane!
For those that love the traditional shape of a walking cane, you cannot go wrong with a crook handle. Traditionally the style used by shepherds and farmers, the crook hande offers a comfortable and stable grip while also providing a hook so that the cane can be hung around your arm, or a nearby object, while not in use. Today in our blog we combine the traditional chestnut wood with the classic style of the crook handle to give you a choice of gorgeous canes that will delight for years to come and last you a lifetime!
Chestnut Crook Handle with Bamboo Shaft Walking Stick
The dimensions of the walking stick are:
- Length is 102cm
- Weight is 325g
- The stick diameter at the top just under the handle is 26mm and tapers down to 24mm at the ferrule end
- It is fitted with an "RFC22" type rubber ferrule size 22mm internal diameter
Chestnut Shepherd's Crook, Two Piece, Jointed, Extra Long
The new Two Piece Jointed Extra-Long Chestnut Shepherd's Crook
is a wonderful purchase to make. This Chestnut Shepherd's Crook has a screw joint in the middle of the stick making it easily portable. The peeled and varnished chestnut makes this a very smooth and elegant crook and is slightly longer than normal at approx 165cm long, fitted with a steel ferrule.
The dimensions of the shepherds crook are:
- Length is 165cm
- Weight is 588g
- The stick diameter at the top just under the handle is 24mm and tapers down to 19mm at the ferrule end
- It is fitted with a steel ferrule
Chestnut Spiral Crook Handled Stick
- The dimensions of the walking stick are:
- Length is 92cm
- Weight is 325g
- The stick diameter at the top just under the handle is 30mm and tapers down to 26mm at the ferrule end.
- It is fitted with a metal ferrule.
- Will take an "RFC25" type rubber ferrule size 25mm internal diameter.